Monday, January 28, 2008

How is our discussion today change your thinking about the meaning of the term style and its use in writing for the media?

Today’s discussion made me understand deeply what style is all about. As I said before, there are many styles but only some specific ones can be used in writing for the media. Also my reaction to the statement in my past blog “Writing is thinking,” helped me understand how many different ways you can express yourself. There were numerous different styles; some classmates expressed themselves in poems, lyrics, or writing music like me. Others enjoyed writing research papers, as others didn’t have a specific style. Writing for the media might be considered complex, but it can be done with facility if the correct and appropriate styles are used. There are two levels of styles, which are individual and editorial. This made me understand better the way you can use each style in writing for the media.

For example: I like to express myself through music. I could be happy, angry, or dejected and I would sit down, grab my guitar and just play. Then after a while of jamming on a specific rhythm, an idea would come up and with those ideas I create a song. Sometimes I express myself through lyrics but not very often, usually through music. There was another classmate that expressed herself through music, writing lyrics. Another classmate expressed himself through poems. I think that poems a great ways to express your writing since you can use simile and metaphors in which it puts more life into the poem.

So definitely today’s class made understand the different styles that there is and the way you can you use it in writing for the media.

1 comment:

chavi1984 said...

Roy every word that you said is completely true. I agree with you. Every person has their own way of expressing themselves. Like you said through music, poems, etc.